~~ please click on work title to read detailed program notes ~~
1. (2008) for 6 voices: Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Baritone, and Bass
- 3 minutes
Commissioned by the Canadian Music Centre, BC Region for BC’s 150th Anniversary Celebrations with
the aid of a special BC150 grant from the BC Gaming Commission. The lyrics were specially written by
Performed by the Hexaphone Vocal Sextet, Victoria
2. (2005) for Soprano, Tenor, and Piano – 16 minutes
A collection of four songs based on the poetry of Peter Gillespie. The two voices sing together not as a
traditional duet, but rather as two autonomous characters each presenting their own interpretation of
similar material, sometimes together and other times apart.
3. Timbres of the Soul (1998) for Mixed Choir, Piano, and Percussion – 18 minutes
Five movements of wordless song with each movement representing one of the emotions. Vocalists
utilize single syllable sound constructions to portray the respective emotions. Written specially for a
performance by the Cowichan Consort Orchestra and Choir conducted by Maestra Jean-Marie Kent.
4. (1994) for Mixed Choir OR SSAA, a cappella – 8 minutes
Poetry by Peter Gillespie is expressively combined with vocal melody and harmony to create a moving
and powerful single movement work.
Performed by UBC Women’s Choir, Kevin Zakresky - Conductor
5. Seascape (1993) for Soprano and Piano – 7 minutes